Sewing Classes for Kids
Convenient online sewing classes and personalized lessons for kids that are taught when you want.
Sewing is a wonderful activity for kids that lets them be creative and teaches a number of valuable skills. It engages kids in a fun and constructive manner, that not only enables them to express themselves creatively, but also builds upon skills related to dexterity, design, problem solving, math, and engineering.
We offer a wide variety of options for children to learn how to sew, including virtual classes and personalized lessons, after-school programs, camps, tutoring, and parties. Based on skill level and what they want to learn, select from available classes or personalized sewing curriculum can be developed. Projects include clothing and costumes, doll clothes, accessories, home decor, plush toys, hand sewing, and much more. Kids can also learn to use sewing patterns, and how to create their own designs.
Learn to Sew Holiday Special
Take advantage of this limited-time offer to start or continue your sewing journey!
- The coupon can be used on "New to Sewing" classes that are already discounted
- The coupon is available to anyone who contacts me before the end of January
- Use the coupon for a single class or lesson, or group several together if your aim is to take many lessons
- The coupon is only available to use one time per customer
How It Works
- Submit the registration form on any class page or the personalized lesson page, or contact me about registering before the end of January.
- After I receive your request I will contact you to schedule the sewing classes or personalized lessons.
- I'll send you an online invoice with the discount coupon applied.
- The classes or personalized lessons that you want to take must be confirmed and payment made before the end of February.
Terms & Conditions
- Coupon can be used by new AND existing customers.
- The coupon may only be used one time per customer.
- Scheduling dates and times are first come, first serve based on my availability.
- Registration requests must be received by January 31, 2022.
- The coupon expires February 28, 2021 and must be used before then.
- Void where prohibited.
From my sewing studio in Austin, TX, I teach online sewing classes to students locally, across the United States and internationally
- For ages 7+
- Taught by a professional seamstress and experienced teacher with 18+ years experience teaching adults and children
- Advanced multi-camera online learning environment
- Private classes scheduled when you want, weekends and weekdays
- Options for all experience levels, beginner to advanced
- Up to 5 people (simpler crafting projects are available for larger parties and groups)
- Discounts for multiple people
- Recurring and long-term lessons can be organized, including after-school sewing programs, tutoring, and camps
Duration: 2 Hours
Duration: 8 Hours
Duration: 2 Hours
Duration: 2 Hours
Duration: 3 Hours
Duration: 10 Hours
After-School Sewing Programs
Working with private and public schools, homeschool groups and individuals, curriculum is developed based on the number of classes, skill level and what students want to learn.
Programs include beginners who have never sewn before, to advanced students who design and create their own projects. We also coordinate with teachers, administrators and other instructors to integrate projects and curriculum from other courses. In some cases, multi-semester curriculum is developed so students can continue with the program and refine their sewing skills.
Do you want sewing offered at your school? Contact me to explore program options, or ask your school administrators to contact me.
Tutoring & Personalized Lessons
If your child wants to learn something that's not currently available as a class then personalized lesson plans and projects are developed that are tailored to exactly what they want to do.
I work with my students on using commercial sewing patterns, creating projects from their own designs, guide them on tools and materials, and craft custom lesson plans to build their sewing skills.
For groups of more than five kids and parties, simpler crafting activities are available.
Flexible sewing camps that are personalized to fit your schedule. Arrange 3, 4 or 5 day camps at times that are most convenient for you.
Students will learn how to use a sewing machine and hand sewing techniques to make a wide variety of projects to take home. Starting age is 7, but for younger kids hand sewing projects are available.
Virtual Learning and Enrichment
Whether you're working from home and need someone to keep your child occupied, want to expand your child's learning options or just need a short break, we have a variety of other activities tailored for kids.
Arrange individual sessions when you want or recurring lessons to lock in a consistent schedule. Activities include crafting, storytime and reading, drawing, games and puzzles.
Sewing Machines for Kids
While teaching and servicing sewing machines, I get to try out a LOT of different machines, and am frequently asked for recommendations. These recommended sewing machines for kids are simple to operate and easy to learn on. Plus, they have the one feature I always recommend for kids who are learning to sew - speed control. If you're not familiar with speed control, watch the demo below to learn more about this feature and why I suggest it for beginners.
Speed Control on Sewing Machines
Speed control is a feature found on many, but not all machines, and it maintains the speed of the sewing machine regardless of how hard you press on the foot pedal. I teach many different students, and it's not uncommon for beginners to be intimidated by the speed of a sewing machine when they first sit down in front of one.
About the Instructor
Vanessa has over 20 years of experience teaching adults and children. In addition to offering sewing classes and lessons she is an instructor in the Fashion Design Program at Austin Community College. Previously, Vanessa was an instructor at The Stitch Lab where she taught intro and specialty sewing classes, gave private lessons, hosted parties, and ran summer camps. Beyond sewing she has taught art, yoga and English to children as young as two through high school-aged kids. She has taught adults and kids of all ages and enjoys seeing how everyone applies their newfound sewing skills to express themselves.
Vanessa is a full-time designer and seamstress working with clients on a wide variety of custom, small-scale manufacturing and consulting projects that keep her current with the latest sewing trends and technologies. She is also a machine service technician and has expert knowledge on a wide range of sewing machines that she shares with students on how to properly use and maintain their sewing machine.