Intro to Sewing Course for Kids
Everything your child needs to feel confident on a sewing machine and ready to take on more projects.
This is great for beginners who want an in-depth introduction to sewing and the confidence to take on more projects.
Recommended for kids age 7 - 12
What You'll Learn
- Common sewing terminology
- Patterns and the information they contain
- Basic operation, parts, and functionality of a sewing machine
- Fabric grain lines and direction
- Seam allowance
- Straight stitching
- Seam matching
- Sewing circles using a free arm and alternate techniques for sewing cylinders
- Introduced to interfacing
- Pattern matching
This class is for the absolute beginner with no experience or someone who wants a refresher on the tools or techniques learned in this class.
Tools & Supplies
- Sewing machine - Please review the tools & supplies list carefully for any machine hardware requirements or contact us with any questions.
- Sewing kit:
- Pins or clips
- Pin cushion (if you're using pins)
- Seam ripper
- Fabric markers or chalk
- Measuring tape
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Extra sewing machine needles
- Find links to these common sewing kit items in the shop.
- All-purpose thread
Project 1 - Bookmark
- Cotton fabric scraps for practice stitching (Can recycle old bed sheets, pillow covers or clothing)
- Heavier weight fabric like canvas, duck cloth or something similar
- 3" - 4" of ribbon for bookmark tab
Project 2 - Envelope Pillow
- 16" x 16" pillow form/insert
- 1/2 yard of cotton fabric
Project 3 - Drawstring Bag
Remember to pre-wash and dry your fabric before class.
Schedule as an instructor-led private class at a time that is best for you.Number of Students
See discounted price for multiple students
Live Video Chat
On-Demand Group Classes
Discounts are available when you sign-up multiple people for on-demand classes so get friends or family members together too. Select the number of students above to see the discounted price per person.
Online Sewing Classes
We've developed an advanced online learning experience to make it as close as possible to being in person that may be quite different from what you've seen elsewhere. I make the same project along with you and show you the actions from multiple cameras as I guide you step by step. Learn more or contact me to schedule a demo to show you what it's like.
About the Instructor
Vanessa has been teaching children and adults for over 20 years. In addition to offering beginner to advanced sewing lessons she is an instructor in the Fashion Design Program at Austin Community College. Previously, Vanessa was an instructor at The Stitch Lab where she taught intro and specialty sewing classes, gave private lessons, hosted parties, and ran summer camps. Beyond sewing Vanessa has taught art, yoga and English, and her experience extends overseas when she was in the Peace Corps. She has taught adults and kids of all ages and enjoys seeing her students apply their newfound sewing skills to express themselves.
Vanessa is a full-time designer and seamstress working with clients on a wide variety of custom sewing and product development projects for fashion, wearable tech, decor, accessories and soft goods that keep her current with the latest sewing trends and technologies. She is also a machine service technician and has intimate knowledge of a wide range of sewing machines that enables her to personalize sewing lessons for the types of machines students are using.
New Registrations Temporarily Closed
Thanks for your interest in taking sewing lessons with me!
Due to extremely high demand I am currently not available to take on more students. When open spots become available I will re-open registration.
If you would like to be notified when registration is available please subscribe to the Ronkita Design newsletter.