Intermediate Sewing Course for Kids
A sewing course for students who want to learn more sewing techniques that can be used to make a large variety of projects.
Is your child ready to take their beginner sewing skills to the next level? The zipper pouch and rucksack sewing projects teach many beneficial skills that they'll use when making a variety of other projects.
What You'll Learn
- Adjusting settings and hardware on your sewing machine for use with different projects
- Determine amount of fabric and plan for your project
- Prepare fabric and work with sewing patterns
- Proper ways to pin and cut
- Install a basic zipper
- Working with PDF sewing patterns
- Many other tips and useful techniques that can be applied to other sewing projects
Necessary sewing skills are:
- the ability to thread the sewing machine and needle, and wind and load the bobbin on their own
- measure and cut fabric
Tools & Supplies
- All-purpose thread
- Sewing kit: pins, scissors, ruler, snips, seam ripper, thread, extra needles, fabric markers or chalk, etc. Find links to these common sewing kit items in the shop.
- Sewing machine
Project 1 - Zipper Pouch
- 1/4 yard of fabric (cotton, canvas) OR 1 fat quarter (18" x 22")
- 1 12" nylon zipper (color of choice)
- 1 yard of 1/4" - 1/2 ribbon for handle
Project 2 - Rucksack Backpack
- 1 yard of fabric (cotton, canvas) for bag - no stretchy fabrics
- 1 pack of 7/8" wide double fold bias tape
- 3 yards of 1" webbing/strapping material
- 1 1/2 yards of 1/4" - 1/2" ribbon/shoelace/cording for drawstring
- 2 1" D-rings
- 2 1" sliders
- 2 safety pins
- A digital PDF sewing pattern will be provided that will need to be printed.
Schedule as an instructor-led private class at a time that is best for you.Number of Students
See discounted price for multiple students
Live Video Chat
Learn to Sew Holiday Special
Take advantage of this limited-time offer to start or continue your sewing journey!
- The coupon can be used on "New to Sewing" classes that are already discounted
- The coupon is available to anyone who contacts me before the end of January
- Use the coupon for a single class or lesson, or group several together if your aim is to take many lessons
- The coupon is only available to use one time per customer
How It Works
- Submit the registration form on any class page or the personalized lesson page, or contact me about registering before the end of January.
- After I receive your request I will contact you to schedule the sewing classes or personalized lessons.
- I'll send you an online invoice with the discount coupon applied.
- The classes or personalized lessons that you want to take must be confirmed and payment made before the end of February.
Terms & Conditions
- Coupon can be used by new AND existing customers.
- The coupon may only be used one time per customer.
- Scheduling dates and times are first come, first serve based on my availability.
- Registration requests must be received by January 31, 2022.
- The coupon expires February 28, 2021 and must be used before then.
- Void where prohibited.
On-Demand Group Classes
Discounts are available when you sign-up multiple people for on-demand classes so get friends or family members together too. Select the number of students above to see the discounted price per person.
Online Sewing Classes
We've developed an advanced online learning experience to make it as close as possible to being in person that may be quite different from what you've seen elsewhere. I make the same project along with you and show you the actions from multiple cameras as I guide you step by step. Learn more or contact me to schedule a demo to show you what it's like.
About the Instructor
Vanessa has over 20 years of experience teaching adults and children. In addition to offering sewing classes and lessons she is an instructor in the Fashion Design Program at Austin Community College. Previously, Vanessa was an instructor at The Stitch Lab where she taught intro and specialty sewing classes, gave private lessons, hosted parties, and ran summer camps. Beyond sewing she has taught art, yoga and English to children as young as two through high school-aged kids. She has taught adults and kids of all ages and enjoys seeing how everyone applies their newfound sewing skills to express themselves.
Vanessa is a full-time designer and seamstress working with clients on a wide variety of custom, small-scale manufacturing and consulting projects that keep her current with the latest sewing trends and technologies. She is also a machine service technician and has expert knowledge on a wide range of sewing machines that she shares with students on how to properly use and maintain their sewing machine.