Intermediate Sewing Course for Kids
A sewing course for students who want to learn more sewing techniques that can be used to make a large variety of projects.
Is your child ready to take their beginner sewing skills to the next level? The zipper pouch and rucksack sewing projects teach many beneficial skills that they'll use when making a variety of other projects.
What You'll Learn
- Adjusting settings and hardware on your sewing machine for use with different projects
- Determine amount of fabric and plan for your project
- Prepare fabric and work with sewing patterns
- Proper ways to pin and cut
- Install a basic zipper
- Working with PDF sewing patterns
- Many other tips and useful techniques that can be applied to other sewing projects
Necessary sewing skills are:
- the ability to thread the sewing machine and needle, and wind and load the bobbin on their own
- measure and cut fabric
Tools & Supplies
- All-purpose thread
- Sewing kit: pins, scissors, ruler, snips, seam ripper, thread, extra needles, fabric markers or chalk, etc. Find links to these common sewing kit items in the shop.
- Sewing machine
Project 1 - Zipper Pouch
- 1/4 yard of fabric (cotton, canvas) OR 1 fat quarter (18" x 22")
- 1 12" nylon zipper (color of choice)
- 1 yard of 1/4" - 1/2 ribbon for handle
Project 2 - Rucksack Backpack
- 1 yard of fabric (cotton, canvas) for bag - no stretchy fabrics
- 1 pack of 7/8" wide double fold bias tape
- 3 yards of 1" webbing/strapping material
- 1 1/2 yards of 1/4" - 1/2" ribbon/shoelace/cording for drawstring
- 2 1" D-rings
- 2 1" sliders
- 2 safety pins
- A digital PDF sewing pattern will be provided that will need to be printed.
Learn from me in a live lesson where I'll personally guide you.
Live, instructor-led private sewing class scheduled at a time that is best for you.Number of Students
See discounted price for multiple students
OnlineLive Video Chat
To provide a personalized experience and accommodate busy schedules I primarily teach private sewing classes and this class does not currently have any public dates available, but you can request it as a private sewing class.
See registration details below.
Instructor-led Private Classes/Lessons
Discounts are available when you sign-up multiple people for private classes or personalized lessons so get friends or family members together too. Select the number of students above to see the discounted price per person.
Online Sewing Classes
Choose from options for live, instructor-led sewing lessons over video chat or some recorded classes that are available to watch on-demand when you want.
I developed a unique virtual learning experience to make it as close as possible to being in person. I make the same project along with you, answer your questions, and show you the actions from multiple cameras as I personally guide you step by step.
Recorded On-demand Video
Some classes are available to enroll in to watch online and learn at your own pace. The techniques and projects shown are similar to the live classes. Follow along from your computer or mobile device when you want and return to pick up where you left off.
About the Instructor
Vanessa has been teaching children and adults for over 20 years and offers beginner to advanced sewing lessons to students locally and virtually across the country. She's also an instructor in the Fashion Design Program at Austin Community College and is a member of the Fashion Design Advisory Committee. Previously, Vanessa was an instructor at The Stitch Lab where she taught intro and specialty sewing classes, gave private lessons, hosted parties, and ran summer camps.
Vanessa is a full-time designer and seamstress working with clients on a wide variety of custom sewing and product development projects for fashion, wearable tech, decor, accessories and soft goods that keep her current with the latest sewing trends and technologies. She is also a machine service technician and has detailed knowledge of a wide range of sewing machines that enables her to personalize sewing lessons for the types of machines students are using.
New registrations for instructor-led classes are temporarily closed
Thanks for your interest in taking sewing classes with me! Due to extremely high demand I am currently not available to take on more students. When open spots become available I will re-open registration. If you would like to be notified when registration is available please subscribe to the Ronkita Design newsletter below.