Intermediate Sewing Course for Kids
A sewing course for students who want to learn more sewing techniques that can be used to make a large variety of projects.
Is your child ready to take their beginner sewing skills to the next level? The zipper pouch and rucksack sewing projects teach many beneficial skills that they'll use when making a variety of other projects.
What You'll Learn
- Adjusting settings and hardware on your sewing machine for use with different projects
- Determine amount of fabric and plan for your project
- Prepare fabric and work with sewing patterns
- Proper ways to pin and cut
- Install a basic zipper
- Working with PDF sewing patterns
- Many other tips and useful techniques that can be applied to other sewing projects
Necessary sewing skills are:
- the ability to thread the sewing machine and needle, and wind and load the bobbin on their own
- measure and cut fabric
Tools & Supplies
- All-purpose thread
- Sewing kit: pins, scissors, ruler, snips, seam ripper, thread, extra needles, fabric markers or chalk, etc. Find links to these common sewing kit items in the shop.
- Sewing machine
Project 1 - Zipper Pouch
- 1/4 yard of fabric (cotton, canvas) OR 1 fat quarter (18" x 22")
- 1 12" nylon zipper (color of choice)
- 1 yard of 1/4" - 1/2 ribbon for handle
Project 2 - Rucksack Backpack
- 1 yard of fabric (cotton, canvas) for bag - no stretchy fabrics
- 1 pack of 7/8" wide double fold bias tape
- 3 yards of 1" webbing/strapping material
- 1 1/2 yards of 1/4" - 1/2" ribbon/shoelace/cording for drawstring
- 2 1" D-rings
- 2 1" sliders
- 2 safety pins
- A digital PDF sewing pattern will be provided that will need to be printed.
Schedule as an instructor-led private class at a time that is best for you.Number of Students
See discounted price for multiple students
Live Video Chat
On-Demand Group Classes
Discounts are available when you sign-up multiple people for on-demand classes so get friends or family members together too. Select the number of students above to see the discounted price per person.
Online Sewing Classes
We've developed an advanced online learning experience to make it as close as possible to being in person that may be quite different from what you've seen elsewhere. I make the same project along with you and show you the actions from multiple cameras as I guide you step by step. Learn more or contact me to schedule a demo to show you what it's like.
About the Instructor
Vanessa has been teaching children and adults for over 20 years. In addition to offering beginner to advanced sewing lessons she is an instructor in the Fashion Design Program at Austin Community College. Previously, Vanessa was an instructor at The Stitch Lab where she taught intro and specialty sewing classes, gave private lessons, hosted parties, and ran summer camps. Beyond sewing Vanessa has taught art, yoga and English, and her experience extends overseas when she was in the Peace Corps. She has taught adults and kids of all ages and enjoys seeing her students apply their newfound sewing skills to express themselves.
Vanessa is a full-time designer and seamstress working with clients on a wide variety of custom sewing and product development projects for fashion, wearable tech, decor, accessories and soft goods that keep her current with the latest sewing trends and technologies. She is also a machine service technician and has intimate knowledge of a wide range of sewing machines that enables her to personalize sewing lessons for the types of machines students are using.