Intermediate Sewing Course for Kids
A sewing course for students who want to learn more sewing techniques that can be used to make a large variety of projects.
Is your child ready to take their beginner sewing skills to the next level? The zipper pouch and rucksack sewing projects teach many beneficial skills that they'll use when making a variety of other projects.
If your child is new to sewing check out the Beginner Basics class or Intro to Sewing Course for Kids where they will learn how to use their sewing machine and fundamental sewing techniques.
What You'll Learn
- Adjusting settings and hardware on your sewing machine for use with different projects
- Determine amount of fabric and plan for your project
- Prepare fabric and work with sewing patterns
- Proper ways to pin and cut
- Install a basic zipper
- Working with PDF sewing patterns
- Many other tips and useful techniques that can be applied to other sewing projects
Necessary sewing skills are:
- the ability to thread the sewing machine and needle, and wind and load the bobbin on their own
- measure and cut fabric
If your child is new to sewing check out the Intro to Sewing Course for Kids or the in-depth Beginner Sewing Program to help prepare them for this class.
Tools & Supplies
- All-purpose thread
- Sewing kit: pins, scissors, ruler, snips, seam ripper, thread, extra needles, fabric markers or chalk, etc. Find links to these common sewing kit items in the shop.
- Sewing machine
Project 1 - Zipper Pouch
- 1/4 yard of fabric (cotton, canvas) OR 1 fat quarter (18" x 22")
- 1 12" nylon zipper (color of choice)
- 1 yard of 1/4" - 1/2 ribbon for handle
Project 2 - Rucksack Backpack
- 1 yard of fabric (cotton, canvas) for bag - no stretchy fabrics
- 1 pack of 7/8" wide double fold bias tape
- 3 yards of 1" webbing/strapping material
- 1 1/2 yards of 1/4" - 1/2" ribbon/shoelace/cording for drawstring
- 2 1" D-rings
- 2 1" sliders
- 2 safety pins
- A digital PDF sewing pattern will be provided that will need to be printed.
Instructor-led private sewing class scheduled at a time that is best for you.Number of Students
See discounted price for multiple students
OnlineLive Video Chat
To provide a personalized experience and accommodate busy schedules I primarily teach private sewing classes and this class does not currently have any public dates available, but you can request it as a private sewing class.
See registration details below.
Discounts are available when you sign-up multiple people for private classes or personalized lessons so get friends or family members together too. Select the number of students above to see the discounted price per person.
Online Sewing Classes
I developed a unique online learning experience to make it as close as possible to being in person. I make the same project along with you and show you the actions from multiple cameras as I guide you step by step. Learn more or contact me to schedule a demo to show you what it's like.
About the Instructor
Vanessa has been teaching children and adults for over 20 years. In addition to offering beginner to advanced sewing lessons she is an instructor in the Fashion Design Program at Austin Community College. Previously, Vanessa was an instructor at The Stitch Lab where she taught intro and specialty sewing classes, gave private lessons, hosted parties, and ran summer camps.
Vanessa is a full-time designer and seamstress working with clients on a wide variety of custom sewing and product development projects for fashion, wearable tech, decor, accessories and soft goods that keep her current with the latest sewing trends and technologies. She is also a machine service technician and has detailed knowledge of a wide range of sewing machines that enables her to personalize sewing lessons for the types of machines students are using.
New Registrations Temporarily Closed
Thanks for your interest in taking sewing lessons with me!
Due to extremely high demand I am currently not available to take on more students. When open spots become available I will re-open registration.
If you would like to be notified when registration is available please subscribe to the Ronkita Design newsletter.