Shorts with Front-set Pockets
A cute shorts sewing pattern that's great for summer and with a stylish retro look.
You also have the option to add buttons to the pockets for a look that's similar to sailor pants. There is a 4.5 inch inseam, but they look great at any length you choose to make them.
After you learn to make these you'll want to create several in a range of colors to mix and match with other garments.
What You'll Learn
- Working with a sewing pattern and terminology
- Obtaining measurements in order to get the correct size
- Adjusting a pattern, if necessary
- Pattern placement for directional fabrics or plaids/stripes
- Pinning fabric to patterns in preparation for cutting
- Pattern cutting
- Creating and installing a waistband
- Installing an invisible zipper
- Applying interfacing
- Hemming techniques
- Optional: Buttonholes and button placement
If you're new to sewing or want a refresher to get you ready for this class, check out the Beginner Basics class, the Intro to Sewing Course or the in-depth Beginner Sewing Program.
Tools & Supplies
You will need:
- Fabric for shorts: Medium-weight, stretch cotton twill, poplin, suiting, gabardine, pique or wool blends
- Fabric for pocket lining: Lightweight, batiste or silk crepe de chine
- Lightweight fusible interfacing
- 9" invisible zipper
- One small hook and eye
- Four 3/4" buttons (if you choose to make version 2 from the pattern)
- Sewing machine - Please review the tools & supplies list carefully for any machine hardware requirements or contact us with any questions.
- Sewing kit:
- Pins or clips
- Pin cushion (if you're using pins)
- Seam ripper
- Fabric markers or chalk
- Measuring tape
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Extra sewing machine needles
- Find links to these common sewing kit items in the shop.
- All-purpose thread
We will be using the Iris pattern from Colette Patterns. Please be sure to purchase and prepare this pattern before class. The pattern will be a PDF that you need to download, print, cut out for your size, and piece together before the class. The pattern includes a table that shows how much fabric will be needed based on your size.
Remember to pre-wash and dry your fabric before class.
Instructor-led private sewing class scheduled at a time that is best for you.Number of Students
See discounted price for multiple students
OnlineLive Video Chat
To provide a personalized experience and accommodate busy schedules I primarily teach private sewing classes and this class does not currently have any public dates available, but you can request it as a private sewing class.
See registration details below.
Discounts are available when you sign-up multiple people for private classes or personalized lessons so get friends or family members together too. Select the number of students above to see the discounted price per person.
Online Sewing Classes
I developed a unique online learning experience to make it as close as possible to being in person. I make the same project along with you and show you the actions from multiple cameras as I guide you step by step. Learn more or contact me to schedule a demo to show you what it's like.
About the Instructor
Vanessa has been teaching children and adults for over 20 years. In addition to offering beginner to advanced sewing lessons she is an instructor in the Fashion Design Program at Austin Community College. Previously, Vanessa was an instructor at The Stitch Lab where she taught intro and specialty sewing classes, gave private lessons, hosted parties, and ran summer camps.
Vanessa is a full-time designer and seamstress working with clients on a wide variety of custom sewing and product development projects for fashion, wearable tech, decor, accessories and soft goods that keep her current with the latest sewing trends and technologies. She is also a machine service technician and has detailed knowledge of a wide range of sewing machines that enables her to personalize sewing lessons for the types of machines students are using.
New Registrations Temporarily Closed
Thanks for your interest in taking sewing lessons with me!
Due to extremely high demand I am currently not available to take on more students. When open spots become available I will re-open registration.
If you would like to be notified when registration is available please subscribe to the Ronkita Design newsletter.