American Girl Doll Clothing and Accessories
Learn how to make one-of-a-kind garments and accessories for your American Girl or other 18" dolls.
Students will have options to choose from available garment patterns or design their own based on their skill level. Bring a few different fabrics so you can mix and match design or pattern styles. More advanced students can create different elements to the existing patterns for an even more unique look.
We'll also cover skills and techniques to use when working with both knit and woven fabrics.
What You'll Learn
- Pattern sewing - how to read, trace and adjust a pattern
- How to pin fabric to patterns in preparation for cutting
- How to think creatively and coordinate fabrics
- Pattern cutting for all garments and accessories
- Working with woven and knit fabrics
- Fabric grainline
- How to assemble pants and shorts
- Stitches on your machine that are suitable for sewing knit fabrics
- Appropriate hems for either woven or knit fabric
Tools & Supplies
You will need:
- 18" doll
- Straight and zig zag sewing feet
- Universal and jersey needles
- At least a half yard (18" x 45") of fabric. This is the minimum needed to make the patterns, and feel free to bring multiple prints for mixing and matching.
- Elastic or velcro if needed for the pattern you select
- Fabric scraps for embellishments or applique
- Sewing machine - Please review the tools & supplies list carefully for any machine hardware requirements or contact us with any questions.
- Sewing kit:
- Pins or clips
- Pin cushion (if you're using pins)
- Seam ripper
- Fabric markers or chalk
- Measuring tape
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Extra sewing machine needles
- Find links to these common sewing kit items in the shop.
- All-purpose thread
Remember to pre-wash and dry your fabric before class.
Schedule as an instructor-led private class at a time that is best for you.Number of Students
See discounted price for multiple students
Live Video Chat
On-Demand Group Classes
Discounts are available when you sign-up multiple people for on-demand classes so get friends or family members together too. Select the number of students above to see the discounted price per person.
Online Sewing Classes
We've developed an advanced online learning experience to make it as close as possible to being in person that may be quite different from what you've seen elsewhere. I make the same project along with you and show you the actions from multiple cameras as I guide you step by step. Learn more or contact me to schedule a demo to show you what it's like.
About the Instructor
Vanessa has been teaching children and adults for over 20 years. In addition to offering beginner to advanced sewing lessons she is an instructor in the Fashion Design Program at Austin Community College. Previously, Vanessa was an instructor at The Stitch Lab where she taught intro and specialty sewing classes, gave private lessons, hosted parties, and ran summer camps. Beyond sewing Vanessa has taught art, yoga and English, and her experience extends overseas when she was in the Peace Corps. She has taught adults and kids of all ages and enjoys seeing her students apply their newfound sewing skills to express themselves.
Vanessa is a full-time designer and seamstress working with clients on a wide variety of custom sewing and product development projects for fashion, wearable tech, decor, accessories and soft goods that keep her current with the latest sewing trends and technologies. She is also a machine service technician and has intimate knowledge of a wide range of sewing machines that enables her to personalize sewing lessons for the types of machines students are using.