Intro to Sewing Course
Everything you need to feel confident on a sewing machine and ready to take on more projects.
The intro to sewing course is three, 3-hour classes covering the fundamentals that will introduce you to the basics of sewing, plus you'll advance your sewing skills by learning techniques for bags and garment making.
Looking at the sewing course for your child?
The Intro to Sewing Course for Kids teaches many of the same concepts and techniques but is packaged in shorter lessons with simpler projects. Three-hour sewing lessons can be challenging for younger kids, and this course is designed specifically for them to learn about their sewing machine and essential sewing skills.
What You'll Learn
- Common sewing terminology
- Patterns and the information they contain
- Basic operation, parts, and functionality of a sewing machine
- Fabric grain lines and direction
- Seam allowance
- Straight stitching
- Seam matching
- Sewing circles using a free arm and alternate techniques for sewing cylinders
- Introduced to interfacing
- Bag lining
- Pattern matching
- Working with curves
- Create and place pockets
- Introduced to making garments
- Test fittings
This class is for the absolute beginner with no experience or someone who wants a refresher on the tools or techniques learned in this class.
Tools & Supplies
- Sewing machine - Please review the tools & supplies list carefully for any machine hardware requirements or contact us with any questions.
- Sewing kit:
- Pins or clips
- Pin cushion (if you're using pins)
- Seam ripper
- Fabric markers or chalk
- Measuring tape
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Extra sewing machine needles
- Find links to these common sewing kit items in the shop.
- All-purpose thread
Project 1 - Throw Pillow Cover
- 16" x 16" pillow form/insert
- 1/2 yard of cotton fabric
Project 2 - Tote Bag
- Quilting cotton:
- 1 yard of fabric for the outside of the bag
- 1 yard of fabric for the inside of the bag
Project 3 - Pajama Shorts or Pants
- Flannel or quilting cotton - Fabric requirements will vary based on sizes. I will help guide you on the necessary fabric after registration.
- 1/2" or 3/4" elastic
Remember to pre-wash and dry your fabric before class.
Schedule as an instructor-led private class at a time that is best for you.Number of Students
See discounted price for multiple students
Live Video Chat
On-Demand Group Classes
Discounts are available when you sign-up multiple people for on-demand classes so get friends or family members together too. Select the number of students above to see the discounted price per person.
New to Sewing Class
As part of the "New to Sewing" group of classes a discount has automatically been applied to the standard prices shown above for this class.
Online Sewing Classes
We've developed an advanced online learning experience to make it as close as possible to being in person that may be quite different from what you've seen elsewhere. I make the same project along with you and show you the actions from multiple cameras as I guide you step by step. Learn more or contact me to schedule a demo to show you what it's like.
About the Instructor
Vanessa has been teaching children and adults for over 20 years. In addition to offering beginner to advanced sewing lessons she is an instructor in the Fashion Design Program at Austin Community College. Previously, Vanessa was an instructor at The Stitch Lab where she taught intro and specialty sewing classes, gave private lessons, hosted parties, and ran summer camps. Beyond sewing Vanessa has taught art, yoga and English, and her experience extends overseas when she was in the Peace Corps. She has taught adults and kids of all ages and enjoys seeing her students apply their newfound sewing skills to express themselves.
Vanessa is a full-time designer and seamstress working with clients on a wide variety of custom sewing and product development projects for fashion, wearable tech, decor, accessories and soft goods that keep her current with the latest sewing trends and technologies. She is also a machine service technician and has intimate knowledge of a wide range of sewing machines that enables her to personalize sewing lessons for the types of machines students are using.